Back in January, I made a list of goals for the year ahead. Then, I checked in again in June to see if I had made any progress and also to see if I need to make any adjustments to my goals for the remainder of the year. Now that the year is over, it’s time to see if I accomplished the goals I set for myself back in January.
I hope to accomplish much around the house this year. There’s a slight chance we will need to consider moving after I complete graduate school, so as much as I do not enjoy the thought of moving again I would like to be prepared as much as possible. Also, it’s much easier to coordinate home improvements while I’m working from home, which also may change after I have that diploma in hand. June update: we are no longer considering moving. My future job situation is still very much TBD. December update: We will NOT be moving, and my job situation is looking good.
- Finish painting all of the doors black throughout our home. There’s only three left! December update: there’s only one door left! The weather got too cold to paint this last door. Overall, though, I’m very pleased with this progress!
Complete the kitchen cabinets. After months of working with a contractor, we are on schedule to complete the kitchen cabinets in the next few weeks.June update: thankfully this never-ending task is DONE.
- Tile kitchen backsplash. June update: this should probably move to 2017…possibly 2018. December update: I’ve begun ordering tile samples! Curious about what I’m considering? Check out my Pinterest board!
Replace dining room table. We’ve ordered a custom dining set, and we’re just waiting for it to be delivered.
- Continue to steadily reduce clutter. June: steadily making progress. December: I actually just finished going through ALL of Travis’ clothes this week. I’m continually making steady progress reducing clutter.
- Update the guest bathroom. December update: Throughout the course of the year, this became a very low priority.
Continue the master bedroom closet makeover.June update: see the finished space here! Stain the front porchand deck. June update: we’ve stripped the old stain from the porch! December update: The front porch is stained! We’re considering several different options for the back deck including remodeling and hiring out staining. Add risers to front porch stairsand skirting below the porch. December update: we added risers but ran out of time to add the deck skirting. Hopefully, we can cross this task off in the spring.
- Continue making improvements to the outside of our home. In 2015, we repaired our fence and began working in the landscaping. This year I hope to accomplish a few more items to continue adding curb appeal to our blue house. December update: we’re getting there! I’d like to make a big push in 2017 to work on the outside of our home.
- June update: finish my new sitting room. Details to come. 😉 December update: I just sold off the previous furniture that occupied this room, and I hope to have a completed space soon! However, I’m already enjoying spending much of my spare time in this room. I can’t wait to blog about it!
- June update: take some new photos of the outside of our blue house. The one above is very old. December update: as soon as the front porch is finished, I’ll be sure to take loads of pictures of the front of our house!
Graduate from my graduate program. I am on track to complete courses at the end of the summer and to graduate in December with my MBA.June update: I have five weeks left of classes, a field test, and an exit survey separating me from my MBA. December: I’m finished! I graduated at the beginning of this month Summa Cume Laude. The only picture we took was a Snapchat selfie in the car after graduation. #photofail
Celebrate our 30th birthdays. We will both turn 30 in May this year. Complete two Advocare 21 day challenges.June update: I’m down 15 pounds and feeling fabulous. Message me if you’re interested in learning more about Advocare. I plan to complete two more challenges this year.
- Blog one time per month. June update: so far, so good! I very nearly forgot to blog in May, though. December update: Poor July didn’t have a single post.
- Apply for adjunct professor positions. There’s a new program in our home state of Tennessee that provides a scholarship for high school seniors for two years of free tuition at community and technical colleges. It’s a wonderful program, and I’m hoping the influx of students will create more adjunct professor positions in our area. December update: still searching!
And that’s it! This year is really going to be about focusing on schoolwork for me. I may update these goals a bit as the year progresses, but as of right now, my focus is on continuing my education. June: at this point, I’m almost singularly focused on completing grad school.
December update: It has been quite a year!