Back in January, I made a list of goals for the year ahead. Since the year is halfway over, I thought it might be a good idea to check in to see if I’ve made any progress and also to see if I need to make any adjustments to my goals for the remainder of the year.
I hope to accomplish much around the house this year. There’s a slight chance we will need to consider moving after I complete graduate school, so as much as I do not enjoy the thought of moving again I would like to be prepared as much as possible. Also, it’s much easier to coordinate home improvements while I’m working from home, which also may change after I have that diploma in hand. June update: we are no longer considering moving. My future job situation is still very much TBD.
- Finish painting all of the doors black throughout our home. There’s only three left!
Complete the kitchen cabinets. After months of working with a contractor, we are on schedule to complete the kitchen cabinets in the next few weeks.June update: thankfully this never-ending task is DONE.
- Tile kitchen backsplash. June update: this should probably move to 2017…possibly 2018.
Replace dining room table. We’ve ordered a custom dining set, and we’re just waiting for it to be delivered.
- Continue to steadily reduce clutter. June: steadily making progress.
- Update the guest bathroom.
Continue the master bedroom closet makeover.June update: see the finished space here!
- Stain the front porch and deck. June update: we’ve stripped the old stain from the porch!
- Add risers to front porch stairs and skirting below the porch.
- Continue making improvements to the outside of our home. In 2015, we repaired our fence and began working in the landscaping. This year I hope to accomplish a few more items to continue adding curb appeal to our blue house.
- June update: finish my new sitting room. Details to come. 😉
- June update: take some new photos of the outside of our blue house. The one above is very old.
In addition to this list, there are several other home-related tasks we will consider adding depending on what our long-term plans look like in a few months.
- Graduate from my graduate program. I am on track to complete courses at the end of the summer and to graduate in December with my MBA. June update: I have five weeks left of classes, a field test, and an exit survey separating me from my MBA.
Celebrate our 30th birthdays. We will both turn 30 in May this year. Complete two Advocare 21 day challenges.June update: I’m down 15 pounds and feeling fabulous. Message me if you’re interested in learning more about Advocare. I plan to complete two more challenges this year.
- Blog one time per month. June update: so far, so good! I very nearly forgot to blog in May, though.
- Apply for adjunct professor positions. There’s a new program in our home state of Tennessee that provides a scholarship for high school seniors for two years of free tuition at community and technical colleges. It’s a wonderful program, and I’m hoping the influx of students will create more adjunct professor positions in our area.
And that’s it! This year is really going to be about focusing on schoolwork for me. I may update these goals a bit as the year progresses, but as of right now, my focus is on continuing my education. June: at this point, I’m almost singularly focused on completing grad school.