You may remember some time ago when I shared our closet’s mini update. We decided to do a couple of super quick fixes before tackling the rest of the makeover. We changed the light fixture, added some beadboard to the back wall, moved in the Ikea bookshelf, and called it a day. It was a huge improvement.
We were quite happy to leave our closet at this point for several months. The bookshelf proved to be as helpful as I imagined. It’s so nice to be able to see things quickly as I’m getting ready.
However, there was still quite a bit of function we still needed to add to this space. Namely:
- Moving both clothes rods up since my clothes were currently hitting the ground.
- Removing the old, worn-out, disgusting carpet.
- Adding beadboard to the opposite wall.
- Painting the entire closet and trim.
- Adding new carpet.
- Adding a shelf above the closet door for blanket storage.
- Adding a full-length mirror.
Both of the closet rods (seen to the left in the above photo) were raised an entire foot. Now my clothes have proper hanging space, and honestly, the room just feels so much better. The carpet came out easily, and Travis was able to use some leftover beadboard from another project to finish up the opposite wall. He also used a scrap piece of wood (that still needs to be painted) to create a shelf over the closet door. I love that we were able to add a huge amount of extra storage in an area of our closet that was just dead space before.
Soon it was up to me to paint the space. I started by painting the trim white one afternoon (as seen above). Then, the next day I painted the walls the same color that’s in the rest of our master suite: Valspar’s Woodlawn Colonial Gray.
I had purchased Flor carpet tiles several months back when the company had a large sale. I have known since we moved into this house more than three years ago that I would replace the gross carpet with Flor tiles for several reasons: 1. It’s a DIY product. 2. It’s easy to clean or replace, if necessary. 3. It’s well priced.
I selected the style Reverb in Oatmeal. I knew that I did not need to spend a lot of money on one of their higher-end options because it’s just a closet. We ordered several samples, and we both agreed that we liked this style and color the best. I ended up paying about $180 for the new floor.
After that, we added some finishing touches and moved our things back in the room. Naturally, I took this opportunity to purge a few items. If it didn’t easily fit, it was out. If we didn’t use it, it was out. If we didn’t love it, it was out. I found that it was easier for Travis to make these decisions if I grouped like items together (t-shirts with t-shirts, work clothes with work clothes, etc). I think it was easier to see the items he didn’t need when they were arranged in this way.
I still need to paint the shelf over the door, but I’m blown away by all of the additional storage we now have for blankets. Previously, I had a quilt rack taking up more room that I liked in our room. Now, there’s no need for the quilt rack.
I’ve had the cork board for awhile now for some of my costume jewelry. I love that it’s tucked behind the closet door. I got it for free at a yard sale several years ago. It’s a little worse for the wear, but it packs a ton of tucked-away storage. No complaints here!
Please excuse the terrible photo below, but I love my new mirror and deer hooks. This is another area that was just wasted space before. Now I feel like I have a dressing area. I also tucked some of my large utility toes from Thirty-One between the bookshelf and the wall. I love putting dead space to use, obviously.
This makeover was budget friendly, and it makes me incredibly happy every day. I wish I could show you just how much better this room feels now than it did before. It may not seem like much, but this closet makes our master suite feel like it’s finally ours.
(Linking up to TDC.)