Happy Friday! Our master bedroom closet has been an eyesore since the day we moved in. It has peeling, ugly wallpaper and nasty carpet. The clothes rods are hung too low, and the space just isn’t utilized well. Oh, and it only has one naked lightbulb hanging from the ceiling.
Getting the closet to a better state is going to be a multi-step project; one that may take us a few months. (Our lack of motivation these days is palpable.) HOWEVER, we recently made a few changes that have made a HUGE difference in not only how our closet functions, but also how I feel about it.
I was at Lowe’s purchasing a few things for the bathroom, when I spotted a light fixture I had never seen before. I loved it, so I brought it home, and it lives in our closet now.
The new fixture provides a ton of extra light, which makes getting ready in the morning so much easier.
One day I couldn’t stand to look at the peeling wallpaper in our closet a second longer, so I started peeling it off. At first it was working really well. Huge chunks of the dated wallpaper were effortlessly peeling off. This was great! And then about two minutes into my project, my luck ran out. The wallpaper was really stuck on there, and I had made a huge mess with no end in sight. (This was slightly traumatic for me, so there’s no photographic evidence.)
So, we did the quickest fix we could think of and covered the wall with headboard. We didn’t paint it, because the entire closet will need to be painted one day. Plus our DIY motivation is at an all-time low.
The last update we did to the closet was actually premeditated. We received an Ikea gift card two years ago to purchase items for our bathroom, which was the plan at the time. A few months ago I realized I had this gift card and I should do something with it. Travis and I talked about what to use it on and finally decided to purchase a bookshelf for the closet.
We didn’t want the expense of adding an entirely new closet system, but we did want a lot of shelf space on our back closet wall. This shelf is huge, so we knew it would provide plenty of storage space. The measurements were exactly what we needed, too. Previously there was a clothes rod with a few different shoe storage items below in this space. It wasn’t working. But our new bookshelf is!
While a lot still isn’t working in our closet (I’m looking at you nasty carpet!), these few simple updates are making a huge difference. There’s still a lot left to do in here: add headboard to one more wall, paint, new carpet, move clothes rods up, etc. But, for now, I’m just enjoying the new changes.