Since it’s already June, I felt like it would be a good time to check in on the goals I set for 2015 back in January. I think I’ve made some pretty good progress, but the loss of my job threw me for a major loop and caused me to rethink some of my goals.
Health and Fitness
- Continue seeing a chiropractor for migraines/headaches. This is actually a habit I started in 2014. Seeing a chiropractor has already greatly helped my headaches, and I’m hopeful it will continue helping. I’ve continued to see my chiropractor, though not as regularly as before since he’s in another town. However, my headaches are still continuing to improve. I will continue these visits throughout the year.
- Drink more water and less sugary beverages. I’ve begun implementing this, and all I can say is, “I want a Coke. Now.” I completely gave up drinking Coke! I do still have the occasional Dr. Pepper, but I’m definitely drinking more water.
- Exercise at least 3 times/week. I joined a gym a few weeks ago, and I’ve been going 3 times a week. I would like to incorporate more exercise into my weekends, though. Plus, there’s a Friday Zumba class I’d like to try! This goal went out the window as soon as I lost my job. The gym membership just didn’t seem as important. I do try to take walks as often as the weather will allow, though.
- Lose 20 pounds. This won’t be fun. Of course there’s been no progress here since I cancelled my gym membership. Maybe next year?
- Eat balanced meals. I have two big problems: I don’t eat enough protein, and I really like sweets. Since I’m at home now, I’ve made huge improvements in this area. Plus, we don’t eat out nearly as much as before. When I was working outside of my home, I would eat lunch out at least three times a week and dinner out at least four times. Now we eat at home. Check!
- Read one book a month. No, not a book where I learn something; a book simply for enjoyment. Do textbooks count? No. Oh well.
- Watch less TV. Except for the Big Bang Theory and Downton Abbey, of course. I’ve improved, but we’re having a major love affair with Netflix this summer.
- Blog one time per month. I think I can manage 12 blog posts this year. Check! I’ve exceeded this goal.
- Go outside more. Hello sunshine! Check! I have a hammock on my wish list that will further help with this goal. 😉
- Pay off the loan on our truck. We only have 2.6 payments left! This is done! Having the truck paid off is a tremendous financial blessing.
- Begin contributing to a 401K. I’m so excited to finally be eligible to contribute to my company’s 401K program. Well, this didn’t happen. Sad face.
- Finish saving money for our bathroom renovation. We’re very nearly there! In fact, plans are already in the works. Not only did we finish saving the funds (hello severance package!), we’ve also almost completely finished the bathroom makeover! Read more about it here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
- Renovate the master bathroom. Finally! This is basically done! We’ve made a lot of progress since the last photo was taken.
- Finish painting the kitchen cabinets. Finally! It’s too hot to start now. We will have to wait until fall.
- Finish painting the doors. Finally! We have two interior and two exterior doors left to paint. Woo hoo!
- Reduce clutter. Steadily. Check! I’ll continue to purge throughout the year, but we’ve already participated in 3 yard sales where we made about $500 total. Plus I’ve taken loads of clothes to consignment and sold to Twice (my favorite!) and ThredUP. (Clicking either of those links will earn you and me a $10 credit!) There’s just not much left to purge at this point. Hooray!
I’m pleased with my progress this year, especially considering the huge life changes that hit me upside the head. However, I’m pleased to report that my professional life is looking up. It’s still too early to set any professional goals for myself, but I’m happy with the direction I’m headed.
Here’s to the rest of 2015!