When a family friend of ours recently offered to install a new window for us for free, I knew I wanted to make something special for him to say thank you. I decided to put together a tin of frozen chocolate chip cookie dough with a surprise inside for him to take home.
If you’re constantly needing easy-to-assemble, homemade gifts for someone special, this is the perfect gift!
- A cookie tin
- Frozen chocolate chip cookie dough balls (recipe below)
- Tissue paper
- Thank you card
- Gift card (if desired)
Cookie Tin Assembly
To assemble your cookie tin, you’ll need to first make your chocolate chip cookie dough (recipe below). Instead of baking the cookies, roll them into balls to freeze. I use a small ice cream scoop for this. When you’re freezing them, lay them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet for a few hours in the freezer.
Once your dough is frozen, add some tissue paper to the bottom of your tin and top with the frozen cookie dough balls. Place your gift card inside a thank you card and print the baking instructions on the outside of the envelope. That way the recipient won’t know there is a gift card inside until they get home. It’s a fun surprise! (You could always print the baking instructions on a note card if you want to omit the gift card.)
Just be sure to let remind the recipient to place the cookie dough into an airtight freezer bag if they won’t be baking all of the dough immediately. You could even place a freezer bag below the dough (but above the tissue paper) with freezing and baking instructions written on it.
What have you been gifting lately? You know I’ve already got one eye on Christmas gifts!
Freezer-Friendly Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- Cream shortening, butter and sugars in large mixing bowl; blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon onto un-greased baking sheets for baking or freezing.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes until golden brown; or freeze until firm. If freezing, place frozen cookie dough balls into an airtight plastic bag for future use. Increase baking time to 12 minutes for frozen dough.
p.s. Be sure to check in next week for a post each day on one of my favorite subjects: gardening!
I’m linking up to TDC’s Before and After party!