We had a pair of lamps in our bedroom that we bought at Wal Mart about three or four years ago for $10 each. We knew they were just a temporary solution, but the pair ended up living in our bedroom for way too long as far, as I’m concerned.
When we began working on the second guest bedroom (read more about that here), I was happy to donate this pair of lamps to the room. Unfortunately, their dark bases just weren’t going to work in my navy-and-cream-inspired guest room.
I keep several colors of spray paint on hand, because you just never know when you’re going to need it. One of my stapes happens to be ivory. I gave the lamp bases a couple of thin coats of the ivory spray paint while being careful to spray inside all of the curves.
Then I got some navy braided trim (to the tune of about $5) from Hobby Lobby. I cut it to size and then hot glued it to the top and bottom of each lampshade.
Easy as pie and cute as a button. Is it perfect? No, of course not.
Do I love it? Yes.
This is just one small step in the right direction for our second guest bedroom. What’s still on the list? Here you go:
- Purchased a new bed with mattress and box springs
- Moved old bed out of room
- Sold old mattress and box springs for $25 in yard sale
- Mostly cleared off the bookcase
- Moved gifted dresser into space
- Purchased/was gifted bedding
- Update lamps that were also previously in our bedroom
- Gift bookcase to my mother
- Make bed
- Paint walls?
- Bring in fun accessories
- DIY no-sew curtains
- DIY wall art
- Put something in the cradle. I’ll admit this one still has me stumped. Do I get a mattress? Or do something decorative? I have no idea.
- Reorganize the closet
- Bring a small TV in the room
- Rearrange furniture
- Refinish nightstands that were previously in our bedroom
- Work in more storage for seasonal items
- Move cedar chest from upstairs guest bedroom into space
- Find chair(s) for a small seating area
(List originally seen here.)
In other second guest bedroom news, I finally cleared off the bookcase and gifted it to my mother, so strike that one off the list too.
What’s next on the list? I think I’ll rearrange the furniture to work in a small TV in the room. First, though, I’ve got to find where the cable plugs in. Wish me luck!
I’m sharing this post on Thrifty Decor Chick‘s Before and After party. Join me!