This bedroom is located downstairs in the apartment, or in-law suite. We also have a full kitchen, bathroom and massive living room (currently the man cave) downstairs in the apartment. We briefly considered renting the apartment, but it didn’t make sense for us at the time. It still doesn’t make sense for us.
However, having an extra guest room does make sense, and nearly three years later, I’m finally ready to tackle making this a welcoming space for guests. It’s not going to be a quick process. I’ve had this room on my radar for a redo for about a year now.
Here’s what I’ve accomplished in this room already:
- Purchased a new bed with mattress and box springs
- Moved old bed out of room
- Sold old mattress and box springs for $25 in yard sale
- Mostly cleared off the bookcase
- Moved gifted dresser into space
- Purchased/was gifted bedding
As you can see, I haven’t accomplished much, but I will.
What’s on the to-do list? In short, a lot. Here’s the breakdown:
- Make bed
- Gift bookcase to my mother
- Paint walls?
- Bring in fun accessories
- DIY no-sew curtains
- DIY wall art
- Put something in the cradle. I’ll admit this one has me stumped. Do I get a mattress? Or do something decorative? I have no idea.
- Reorganize the closet
- Bring a small TV in the room
- Refinish nightstands that were previously in our bedroom
- Update lamps that were also previously in our bedroom
- Work in more storage for seasonal items
- Move cedar chest from upstairs guest bedroom into space
- Find chair(s) for a small seating area
I have a lot of fun ideas for this space. I’m hoping it will be completely done by the end of the year. Purchasing a new bed for the space held us back from finishing it for years. Now that we have the bed, the rest should fall into place. I’ll keep you updated along the way. Wish me luck!
Update: Want to see how this room turned out? Click here!